VEGAS ATTACK UPDATE: At least 58 now confirmed dead and 500+ injured as shooter is named

  • Shooting took place near the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino on Sunday night in deadliest mass shooting in recent US history
  • Police confirm that Stephen Paddock, aged 64, the shooter
  • Shooter killed himself as law enforcement closed in
  • Automatic weapons used in gun attack, as scenes described as carnage
  • FBI categorically rules out any connection to terror group ISIS

At least 58 people are now believed to have died in a Las Vegas shooting and more than 500 are injured in what has now been described as deadliest mass shooting in US history.

This image of the shooter Stephen Paddock has been widely shared in the media.
This image of the shooter Stephen Paddock has been widely shared in the media.

The gunman, named by police as Stephen Paddock, aged 64, shot indiscriminately from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino at an open air concert crowd.

It is believed he had automatic weapons, and simply kept his finger on the trigger as bullets rained down on the crowd.

The incident took place on Sunday night at about 10.08pm local time during the performances on the last night of the popular Route 91 Harvest Festival, which has taken place on a 15-acre site across Las Vegas Boulevard from the casino resort. The concert featured country singer Jason Aldean.

Of the injured, some are in a critical condition, meaning the death toll is expected to rise.

According to initial reporting, there were multiple shooters firing indiscriminately from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay, but Las Vegas Police Department quickly moved to confirmed through its Twitter account that just one suspect was dead and that they did not believe that there were any other attackers.

As SWAT teams closed in on the hotel room, Paddock is believed to have killed himself.

FBI SWAT teams along with SWAT units from Henderson, North Las Vegas and Las Vegas were called to the scene, and most roads surrounding the area were shut down. Flights bound for McCarran International Airport were being held as officials reconfigured the flight path to avoid the risk of airplanes being targeted.

Gunshot wounds

According to a reporter at the scene, people could be seen running away from one casino entrance into the hotel’s ground floor parking garage. Video footage of the incident shows bursts of gunfire crackling in the air as people fled, and in the confusion, some bystanders appeared to think that the noise was caused by fireworks

Injured victims were sent to University Medical Center and Sunrise Hospital Medical Center and officials at University said that they were treating scores of people with gunshot wounds.

Two tourists from Orange County had been watching the performances at the festival when the shooting began and said that they had been forced to take shelter underneath their seats as the gunfire from the direction of Mandalay Bay was so relentless.

Jason Aldean, who was performing, had this to say on Instagram.

No connection to ISIS, claims FBI

Terror group ISIS has communicated that it was responsible for the attack and that Paddock was one of its ‘soldiers’ who had been recruited ‘months ago’.

The FBI has moved swiftly to quash the claims – stating there was no connection whatsoever.

Time for calm, solidarity and healing

President Trump has already made a statement and posted a message of support on Twitter.

The emergency services, politicians, and various communities are going to need to set about the long process of healing. MGM Resorts has called on counsellors for support.

While the call for blood stocks has been well and truly answered.

Approved Casinos

Want to try an online casino?Approved Casinos

Choose an approved casino from our carefully selected list. VIEW CASINOS

Related Articles